08 December 2015

An amusing, brutal, pin-it-to-win-it mate

This is from an on-line game with a CHESS CLUB member I shan't name.

First some bait: I move my a-rook to b8.  My opponent snaffles it up with the bishop and I recapture with my other rook.

Next up: I give check with rook to b1. The poor devil's only legal move is to block with the queen !

A grandmaster recently joked that if you have to choose between capturing your opponent's queen or giving mate, capture the queen.  However, I stick with orthodox chess theory.  My brutal intermezzo queen to e4 gives check and forces the king to f1 (note that blocking with the queen isn't an option because of the pin).  Pin-it-to-win-it, indeed !  Now I can take the queen with my rook, simultaneously delivering mate.

No comments:

Post a Comment