13 April 2012

13 Apr 2012: two wins for Iron Ass

This fine Friday the Thirteenth, the Chess Pirate and I welcomed the Chess Visionary to the clubhouse.

There were three orders of business:
  1. We made sure the Chess Visionary understood the Three Rules.
  2. We established that there was no one who needed to be cut as a result of violating Rule Three.
  3. I was tasked with selecting several candidate CHESS CLUB trophies for the Chess Pirate's review.
And so, on to the games... Despite having a lingering case of woodchuck fever, I was on a roll, and wound up winning both games.


Game 1: Gabridoodle - Chess Pirate, 1-0

Proving that a leopard really can't change its spots, the Pirate began the game with her usual crazed, slashing attack (this is why no one messes with CHESS CLUB). I proceeded with my usual, methodical accumulation of small advantages. Much to the Pirate's surprise, I voluntarily exchanged queens (though I was canny enough to make an "in-between move" and leave the exchange initiation to her). As time went on (the game lasted nearly two hours), the Pirate wilted and I began to earn my new nickname "Iron Ass."


Game 2: Chess Visionary - Gabridoodle, 0-1

Puffed up from victory over the Pirate, I launched right into my first game with the Chess Visionary. Being out of practice, she made a mix of good and bad moves. As usual, I was methodical and once her collapse began, it was rapid. However, we have high hopes that she will improve, provided that she can match Iron Ass in staying power.

No comments:

Post a Comment