27 April 2012

27 Apr 2012: walking the plank

I came strutting in to CHESS CLUB wearing the Incumbent Champion's Medal and slunk away without it, the Chess Pirate having won two of the three games. The Chess Visionary wasn't able to join us today, but she'll have the opportunity to square off against the Pirate next week (I'll be away).


Game 1: Chess Pirate - Gabridoodle, 1-0
Time control: Fischer; 5 minutes plus 30 seconds per move 

This was a long one by our standards, a 60 move slugfest.  The Pirate eventually got the upper hand, resurrecting her queen.  A fraction of a second after mating me, she exclaimed, "Give me the medal !"


Game 2: Gabridoodle - Chess Pirate, 0-1
Time control: Fischer; 5 minutes plus 30 seconds per move

This came to a shocking conclusion after only 14 moves (computer recreation of the end at left).  Game 1 was an honorable loss.  This one just made me angry, inspiring a better performance in game 3.


Game 3: Chess Pirate - Gabridoodle, 0-1
Time control: Fischer; 5 minutes plus 30 seconds per move

Another slugfest: 66 moves this time.  I managed to channel my rage from game 2 into this one.  The Chess Pirate fell victim to a nasty rook surprise.  Thanks to that and a bold queen sacrifice, I was in command for much of the game.  This game also introduced the Pirate to the term "discovered check."

No comments:

Post a Comment